frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Centos 8 on Container VPS?

Is Centos 8 for Container VPS planned? Approximately when will it be available?

Tagged:

Comments

• JustinaJustina Moderator

Hello,

Yes, we plan to offer CentOS 8 and Ubuntu 18.04 templates for Container VPS servers in the near future. However, I can't specify the exact time, but we'll let our customers know when the time comes.

In the meantime, you can try updating the OS on your server yourself. Before doing so, be sure to back up the server.

• pstpst Member

Could it work to just do a "normal" upgrade? I tried that with a Fedora install back in 2016, and then it stopped with "Error: No new kernel packages were found" which isn't that strange, since no package "kernel" is installed.

• JustinaJustina Moderator

It depends on when your server was ordered. The new Container VPS servers (ordered after January 2019) are built on nodes that use OpenVZ 7 virtualization, which provides more configuration freedom. On these servers, you can definitely upgrade Ubuntu. Thus, I think you will be able to upgrade CenOS.

If your server was ordered earlier, it will probably be based on OpenVZ 6 and will not be able to perform the upgrade.We could re-create it. If you are interested in such an opportunity, we suggest you contact us by opening a ticket through your client area.

• Let me add something important about centOS; CentOS’s most popular version, “Linux 8,” was announced to not receive any updates past December 21, 2021. Its predecessor, “Linux 7” will receive support until **mid-2024 **alongside the “Stream” variants(source)