In this tutorial we will be using Ubuntu 16.04, however you should be able to install Plex on Ubuntu on all our offered Ubuntu and Debian versions.
In Time4VPS you are able to install Ubuntu 16.04 template really easy and fast, with only a few mouse clicks:
1. Login to the Client Area;
2. Select at the top of menu the "My Services > VPS" tab;
3. Press the "Manage" button at the service table;
4. Press the "Install OS" button;
5. Choose Ubuntu 16.04 operating system, agree with warning and press "Continue";
6. Wait for 5-10 minutes and refresh VPS management page.
InstallationLet’s start our tutorial on how to install Plex on Ubuntu by making sure were up to date before we do our install:
apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Now, let’s download the Plex Media Server. We are using the current version available at this moment (Aug 18, 2016) to get the latest version go to Plex Downloads.
After this is downloaded, we can install it with the command:
dpkg -i plexmediaserver_184.108.40.2061-35f0caa_amd64.deb
After the installation is complete do not forgot to delete the installation file:
rm -f plexmediaserver_220.127.116.111-35f0caa_amd64.deb
Connect To The Plex ServerTo enable remote access to the server, first, of all you have to login to the Plex on Ubuntu server on the local network. If this is a remote install then you can connect using the SSH tunnel. You can do it using PuTTY:
Launch PuTTY. Different categories will be listed on the justify side, click on:
- Connection > SSH > Tunnels
- Source port: 32400
- Destination: localhost:32400
- Click "Add"