frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

CentOS dead. When AlmaLinux?

As CentOS is virtually dead (or at least on it's last legs)..
And Debian/Ubuntu are only fit for hobbyist and tinkerers, who don't need and don't care about enterprise level stability..
What are we getting getting as a replacement for CentOS, and when?
Besides AlmaLinux, there's Rocky Linux, but AlmaLinux gets orders of magnitude more technical and financial support from the industry.
So are we getting it any time in the foreseeable future?
But before any vague answers. For somebody who needs to know what I will be running 1 year from now, answers like:
"We are constantly looking how to improve our service and constantly looking for new features to introduce, but we can't give any ETA yet."
..are as good as:
"Just go find a new host which already do offer this or that."
Because I already am looking for one, I just thought before I migrate I'll ask, just in case it is in the plans with some rough timeline. I can wait few months, maybe a year, but I just can't wait for "No ETA".

Tagged:

Comments

• GiedriusGiedrius Administrator

Hello @Poodle, we are in the process of adding the AlmaLinux template to our VPS servers. Currently in a testing phase. I hope it could be released before the end of the year.

• That's great news. Thank you

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited August 2022

Will there be an upgrade path from a Centos7 VPS to AlmaLinux?

Would something like this work: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/how-to-inplace-upgrade-from-centos-7-to-almalinux-8-5.64994/

Hey @Phuturist, at the moment, I cannot answer this. I will take a look at it so that we would have the answer to this question before introducing AlmaLinux.

I'd like to update you that AlmaLinux 8 is currently available for Container VPS or Linux VPS servers.

You can install it with a new server or use the "Reinstall OS" option on the existing VPS.

The next thing we will check is the possibility of upgrading CentOS >> AlmaLinux.

• Good news, thanks for the update.

• Impressive speed of deployment!
    I saw it appear in the list of available images couple weeks back and I took it for a spin on one of the containers.
    Unfortunately I was not able to get firewall to work without throwing errors over some issues with nftables. I didn't have time to work it out then, so I went back to Debian and Centos7 for my machines, for the time being at least.
    I'll try again maybe in few more months when I have more free time.

Hey @Poodle

perhaps you could give us some more information, on what you did, what was the error. I would forward this to our administrator to check if this is something from the OS template, or not.

• It was a while ago and I didn't document it well, because I thought I will come back to it few days later.
    But I remember I just installed image and as a first thing I tried to configure and start firewall, but after restarting it, I got error that it failed, and in the status there was some issue with nftables.
    Strangely I've not been able to find a lot about it on the internet, at that time, and few workarounds or "fixes" that I did find - didn't help, so I left it at that.
    I have this saved in my logs, but I'm not 100% sure it's exact same error message, but probably it is:
    "firewalld[4439]: ERROR: 'python-nftables' failed: internal:0:0-0: Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory"

I have tried to make some random configurations, reload, and restart the firewall, but the error didn't occur. If you ever remember more information on this or some specific things you did, let us know.

• @Giedrius Is there any news on a upgrade path from a Centos7 VPS to AlmaLinux?

@Phuturist said:
    @Giedrius Is there any news on an upgrade path from a Centos7 VPS to AlmaLinux?

Hey there, you may try this tutorial:

https://community.time4vps.com/discussion/654/kvm-upgrade-centos-7-to-almalinux-os

If you have Linux VPS package, it should work for sure.

• @Giedrius said:

@Phuturist said:
    @Giedrius Is there any news on an upgrade path from a Centos7 VPS to AlmaLinux?

Hey there, you may try this tutorial:

https://community.time4vps.com/discussion/654/kvm-upgrade-centos-7-to-almalinux-os

If you have Linux VPS package, it should work for sure.

Thanx, that seems doable. How would this upgrade affect my current DirectAdmin Control Panel. Will it keep functioning or does it require extra steps?