frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Debian 10 on OpenVZ

Brand new Debian 10 "Buster" on OpenVZ VMs - is it real?

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Moderator
    Hello Evpa,
    It does not seem to be possible that Debian 10 "Buster" would be available on OpenVZ VPS services, because of required 4.x kernel version, while OpenVZ 6 and OpenVZ 7 uses only 2.6.32.x and 3.x kernel versions. If our developers will manage to find a workaround somehow, I am sure we will announce the new OS availability via our social network channels.
  • stealthstealth Member
    edited February 2020

Hello
    Some news ? It's very annoying to use old OS
    Actually Debian 9 is only "partially" available because of limitations of systemd with 2.6

• JustinaJustina Moderator

Hello stealth,

Debian 10 requires 4.19.0-6 kernel. However, our newest OpenVZ 7 Container VPS runs with the kernel version 3.10.0. Therefore, Debian 10 is not compatible with our Container VPS servers.

However, we also offer Linux VPS servers, that are based on KVM:

https://www.time4vps.com/linux-vps/

For this type of server, we have a template ready with Debian 10.

• How I can migrate ? I mean not technically, but for switching my subscription ?

• JustinaJustina Moderator

Hello stealth,

we can suggest re-creating your server. Keep in mind that data will be deleted, so if you want to save it, you should take care of its migration or a backup. Meanwhile, we will terminate the old server and set up a new server with the same resources. If you are interested in this offer, please open a ticket with such a request from your client area:

https://billing.time4vps.com/tickets/new/

Or you can order a new Container VPS server and transfer all data from the current server to the new one with the help of local IP:

https://www.time4vps.com/knowledgebase/local-ip/

• Hi.
    Do you know when you will be able to work around this limitation. It is very annoying. We should be able to get Debian 10 or any other newer Linux distro on the storage VPS services by now.

• IevazIevaz Administrator

Hello,

For now, we can't offer newer versions on Storage VPS, because this VPS uses older virtualization. We are looking for options to move to different virtualization that would allow us to provide new OS versions.
    Unfortunately, but there is no date when we will be able to offer that.

• I attempted an update to buster by modifying /etc/apt/ but had to revert as kernel 2.6.32 (required by OpenVZ 6) does not support modern libc6.

There are some apps that manage to work but this kernel version has very poor support for limiting cputime and that makes it hard to have multiple programs running at once.

• GiedriusGiedrius Administrator

@holden said:
    I attempted an update to buster by modifying /etc/apt/ but had to revert as kernel 2.6.32 (required by OpenVZ 6) does not support modern libc6.

There are some apps that manage to work but this kernel version has very poor support for limiting cputime and that makes it hard to have multiple programs running at once.

Hey,

if you are using Storage VPS, they are, unfortunately, still running on old virtualization. Moving Storage VPS to a new virtualization is still work in progress on our side.