frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Mounting Amazon S3 Bucket / Fuse

I want to mount a S3 Bucket to my VPS, but it doesn't work at all.
I installed all FUSE packages (bin, dev, libs) without any problem, yum took care of dependencies and all was fine.

Problem is that performing a modprobe -l it seems there are no modules installed, and I cannot load FUSE module, because it's a kernel module.
Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?
Tagged:

Comments

• ValentineValentine Member
    edited October 2016
    Hello,

unfortunately on our standard VPS it is impossible to use FUSE because necessary module are not supported in kernel. However we are currently working on our KVM servers line in which you will have such possibility.

• Hello,

Any news about the release timeline? I saw that fuse is not available only after purchase and server setup.
  • Well, u can use s3/buckets with a great command line tool :smile: s3tools.org/s3cmd
  • Admup said:

Hello,

Any news about the release timeline? I saw that fuse is not available only after purchase and server setup.

Currently our goal is to make this new line of server possible by the end of Autumn.
  • any news about fuse?

• LawrenceLawrence Member
    edited April 2019
    Hello,

FUSE module supported on our KVM based servers.

• vassagovassago Member
    whats about the storage servers?
    I "only" need curlftps
  • davod21davod21 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Lawrence thank you for your time into looking in this.

I know that probably this is not the highest priority, however fuse can be quite useful to mount remote filesystem.

According to this page: https://openvz.org/FUSE it seems that should be possible to have FUSE running. @Lawrence can you please have a look at that link and see if that is easy / quick to implement ?

In case if possible, this could be rolled out on the next kernel update so won't cause any downtime.

I also have a VPS, and when trying to install fuse I'm facing this:

#sshfs -o reconnect root@remoteHost:/ /home/user/_from_remote/
    fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first

and the:
    # modprobe fuse
    modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab125.3/modules.builtin.bin'
    modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/2.6.32-042stab125.3

• GiedriusGiedrius Administrator
    edited April 2019
    Hello,
    we are aware of this information. However, the reason why we are not implementing FUSE is because than we would not be able to make sure our nodes would be working stable enough.

In this case, you could use KVM VPS instead, as they are suited for this:
    https://www.time4vps.com/linux-vps/

• Hello @Giedirus,

Thank you for your response. I understand your primary objective on the servers is stability. It seems that however FUSE is existing for long time  so I would expect to be quite stable at this stage.

As a test run, would it be possible to try enable FUSE on some VPS to see if there's any effect on stability? If you want I can open a ticket so you can try enabling fuse on my VPS.  

I appreciate the offer for KVM VPS but at this stage I am really happy with the current VPS that I am using.

Thank you again for your time.
  • GiedriusGiedrius Administrator
    Unfortunately, we will not be enabling FUSE, as this is done by changing the settings within kernel and it would influence every other Standard VPS on the same node.

Despite it is possible to run it on OpenVZ, every configuration is different and after we tested it back earlier, we decided not to use this module as it does not suit our global configuration of the nodes